Don’t put your job-search on hold because of the holidays, employers are still hiring! If you’re in healthcare or technology, we can help minimize some of the hassle for you.
Here are 5 tips to help you with your job-search so you won’t need to worry about it next year:
Make long-lasting professional connections with holiday cheer and get your foot in the door while having a good time.
- Holiday events – Any and all events that you are able to attend could land you your next job. Speak with people following similar career-paths and stay in contact with everyone you meet (they could make a huge difference to your success).
- Free-time – Prepare for when you meet possible employers by researching companies, building your personal brand, connecting with employers and perfecting the impression you plan to make. If you feel ready, use the free-time to attend more events and/or connect with more professionals to show them that they want to work with you.
- Holiday greetings – You can have more creativity with your follow-ups. Rather than sending the cliché ‘Thank you’ card, you can specialize it to the holidays. Even better, you have more excuses to get in touch if you’re wishing them a Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Do more while others do less. It’s the perfect time to gain an advantage over others who may be applying to the same positions you are.
- Narrow your options – Now’s the best time to look into and become an expert at the job you want to work for. You can choose to look more in-depth at a few or look into more to help narrow the decision that you couldn’t anymore.
- Future co-workers – Don’t turn down those holiday invitations, this is a great opportunity to look into what kind of people you want to work with in the future. Look deeper into just the requirements of a job.
- Work culture – Even better, you can find out what companies you’d want to work with based on how they present themselves, especially during the holidays. Look into how people describe the work culture, and then decide whether that’s something you want to be a part of.
3. Holiday Deals
Holiday deals won’t be there for long, save money by making sure you have everything for your next interview now.
- Update your wardrobe – It’s the perfect time to upgrade your professional appearance to stand out in your next job, especially if the job requires you to maintain that professional appearance when you start working there.
- Secure job-essentials – Figure out what you need for when you start a job and find the best deals to make your life easier. Especially now, if your job requires you work from home, find what will help you succeed in the long-run.
- Small gifts – Add a little something to those holiday cards you send, so your employers will remember you. Emphasis on small. You don’t want to look like you’re bribing your way into a position.
2. Put yourself out there
Once you’ve networked, researched and updated, let the world know about your job-search. By world, I mean professionally through a post.
- LinkedIn – Share your process, your results, your ambition from this holiday season. Whether you get that job or not, don’t let all of your hard work go unnoticed; there’s still potential for it to pay off.
- Keep applying– Apply to more jobs, it’ll be a lot easier since you used the extra time to make sure everything is perfect.
- Great Job!
Give yourself a pat on the back for all of your hard work. Whether you get a job or not, you made it a lot easier on yourself moving forward for when you apply to other jobs.
- Make time for you – Make sure that you’re still saving some time to unwind yourself. Whether that’s by spending time with loved ones or practicing self-care.
- Be patient – Make sure you don’t give up all hope if you haven’t heard back from anyone. Keep applying, but keep in mind that it may take some time for some places to get back to you.
And remember: You decide how much or how little time you put into your job-search. Only you know how much you need and how much you’re able to put in. Applying through our staffing agency helps reduce some of those extra stresses, so take the time to look through our career opportunities to apply. Good luck!